Gurukul offers Postgraduate programmes recognized by the Senate of Serampore College. The Master of Theology (M.Th.) degree course is of two years duration for BD degree holders of Senate of Serampore College, and for the academic year, 2019-2020 Gurukul is offering M.Th. studies in the disciplines of Christian Theology, History of Christianity, Communication, Women Studies, Old Testament and Missiology.
Gurukul follows the rules and regulations formulated by the Senate of Serampore College for all Degree programs unless or otherwise specially mentioned in the cases of academic programs offered by the College.
English is the medium of instruction for all the courses and therefore, a reasonable proficiency in the English language is required of all candidates. Gurukul conducts a Remedial English course, for those candidates as advised by the Faculty on the basis of their performance in the entrance examination and interview. The Remedial English course for M.Th. students are conducted every year prior to the beginning of the academic session.
The Prospectus and Application Form for admission can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office on payment from the second week of September, which will provide the detailed guidelines on admission procedure. You can also download the application from our website and send the duly filled in form with the required documents to the Registrar’s Office. Both Eligibility and Entrance Examination Centres are charted below.
Eligibility for M.Th. Programmes
The aspirants who wish to join the M.Th. Degree program could have the prospects that would provide all the information. However, applicants should have fulfilled the following requirements for admission to various branches:
- Old Testament: An applicant should have passed at least two Hebrew Courses at B.D. level, (other than the preliminary course) securing a Second Class average.
- New Testament: An applicant should have passed at least three Greek courses at B.D. level, other than the preliminary (two in the case of applicants who have passed at least one advanced course in another classical Biblical language) with a minimum of Second Class average.
- Christian Theology: An applicant should have passed one course at B.D./Graduate level (other than the preliminary course) either in Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Syriac or Sanskrit, (or) possess the ability to comprehend theological literature in German or French to be tested by a P.G. College.
- Religions: An applicant should have passed one course at B.D. level either in Sanskrit, Pali or Arabic examined by the Senate.
- History of Christianity, Missiology, Communication and Women’s Studies: For these branches, there is no Biblical or Classical language requirement for admission. However, an applicant is required to have a working knowledge of the languages necessary to study the primary sources when writing the thesis.
Last Dates for Submission of Application Forms
The filled-in application with all the documents and required fees must reach the Registrar’s office on or before 10th December 2019, with late fee 20th December 2019. The contact details are as below:
Gurukul Lutheran Theological College and Research Institute,
94, Purasawalkam High Road
Kilpauk, Chennai – 600 010
The entrance examinations for M.Th. will be held at Gurukul Campus.