Gurukul offers Graduate, Postgraduate and Doctoral Research programmes recognised by the Senate of Serampore College. The Bachelor of Divinity (BD) degree course which is of four years duration and also B.Th. to BD Upgrading programme of two years programme for B.Th. degree holders of the Senate of Serampore College, and tries to integrate courses that are stipulated by the Senate of Serampore College (University) and other special courses that reflect the nature of the ‘Bold Theological Vision’ of Gurukul in order to make the study of theology holistic and contextual. The Master of Theology degree course is of two years duration for BD degree holders of Senate of Serampore College, and for the academic year, 2019-2020 Gurukul is offering M.Th. studies in the disciplines of Christian Theology, History of Christianity, Communication, Women Studies, Old Testament and Missiology. The Doctor of Theology (D.Th.) is oriented towards research. Doctor of Theology (D.Th) is offered in the Department of Christian Theology and History of Christianity.
Gurukul follows the rules and regulations formulated by the Senate of Serampore College for all Degree programs unless or otherwise specially mentioned in the cases of academic programs offered by the College.
English is the medium of instruction for all the courses and therefore, a reasonable proficiency in the English language is required of all candidates. Gurukul conducts a Remedial English course, for those candidates as advised by the Faculty on the basis of their performance in the entrance examination and interview. The Remedial English course for B.D. students runs concurrently with the courses during the academic year. The same Course for M.Th. students are conducted every year prior to the beginning of the academic session.
The Prospectus and Application Form for admission can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office on payment from the second week of September, which will provide the detailed guidelines on admission procedure. You can also download the application from our website and send the duly filled in form with the required documents to the Registrar’s Office. Both Eligibility and Entrance Examination Centres are charted below.
ELIGIBILITY FOR B.D. / M.TH. / D.TH. PROGRAMMES
Bachelor of Divinity (B.D.)
Gurukul will admit the following categories of applicants for the B.D. Degree Course. An applicant shall be:
- A graduate possessing a Bachelor’s Degree of any recognized university in India or its equivalent from abroad approved by the Senate of Serampore College.
- A B.Th. degree holder with a First or Second Class of the Senate of Serampore College with a pass in the Qualifying English I & II for the two years Up-grader Course.
- A holder of a Theological Degree/Diploma of Universities/Theological Seminaries of India and other countries subject to the approval of the Senate of Serampore College prior to the admission.
Master of Theology (M.Th.)
The aspirants who wish to join the M.Th. Degree program could have the prospects that would provide all the information. However, applicants should have fulfilled the following requirements for admission to various branches:
- Old Testament: An applicant should have passed at least two Hebrew Courses at B.D. level, (other than the preliminary course) securing a Second Class average.
- New Testament: An applicant should have passed at least three Greek courses at B.D. level, other than the preliminary (two in the case of applicants who have passed at least one advanced course in another classical Biblical language) with a minimum of Second Class average.
- Christian Theology: An applicant should have passed one course at B.D./Graduate level (other than the preliminary course) either in Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Syriac or Sanskrit, (or) possess the ability to comprehend theological literature in German or French to be tested by a P.G. College.
- Religions: An applicant should have passed one course at B.D. level either in Sanskrit, Pali or Arabic examined by the Senate.
- History of Christianity, Missiology, Communication and Women’s Studies: For these branches, there is no Biblical or Classical language requirement for admission. However, an applicant is required to have a working knowledge of the languages necessary to study the primary sources when writing the thesis.
Doctor of Theology (D.Th.)
- Applicant should have completed M.Th. in the same branch of the proposed D.Th. studies in First or High Second Class or Applicant who in the opinion of the Research Committee of the Senate of Serampore College holds an equivalent qualification.
- The applicant, after passing M.Th. should have completed at least three years of work experience.
- Applicant should have been engaged in post – M.Th. research activities and should have competence in the language(s) required for the particular field of study.
Last Dates for Submission of Application Forms
The filled-in application with all the documents and required fees must reach the Registrar’s office by 10th December 2018. The contact details are as below:
Gurukul Lutheran Theological College and Research Institute,
94, Purasawalkam High Road
Kilpauk, Chennai – 600 010
The entrance examinations for B.D. & M.Th. will be held at Gurukul Campus.